Southern Hospitality at its finest...
In 1896, twelve Seneca women organized the Once-A-Week Club to encourage the study of general literature and for the purpose of social enjoyment and mutual improvement.
Early Once-A-Week Club members were organizers. Through efforts of a charter member, Mrs. J.H. Adams, the State Federation was organized in Seneca in 1989, with our own Mrs. M.W. Coleman as President and Mrs. J.H. Adams as Educational Chairman.
As pioneers of club life in Seneca, the charter members emphasized literary programs, but later became vitally interested in civic and community life, and human welfare.
The Historic Ballenger House was donated to the Seneca Woman’s Club by the Ballenger family in 1979 to be used as a meeting place for the clubs and non-profit organizations of Seneca.
There are seven individual clubs and four non-profit organizations that meet there at present. The Seneca Woman’s Club is proud to host classes for the OLLI program, which is a community life-long learning program through Clemson University. The Blue Ridge Arts Council’s exhibits also utilize the house.